About Lightspeed Aviation Foundation
Each year, the Lightspeed Aviation Foundation is proud to recognize a select group of deserving aviation non-profit organizations nominated from members of the aviation community. The Lightspeed Aviation Foundation will administer gifts through Pilot's Choice Awards (foundation grants).
The mission of the Lightspeed Aviation Foundation is to promote a vibrant and growing pilot community and use our gifts within the aviation community to serve others for the betterment of our world.
It is the vision of the Lightspeed Aviation Foundation to enthusiastically advance aviation in two key areas:
- Growth— To assure a vibrant and growing pilot community, our goal is to introduce, engage and nurture the next generation of aviation enthusiasts.
- Compassion—We think it is essential that we use our gifts within the aviation community to serve others for the betterment of our communities and world.
As members of the aviation community, we will seek ways to partner with all members of the pilot world to advance the future of aviation. Our goal is to work together to identify worthy causes, give pilots a voice in who we will support and together, work to make a lasting difference.
Pilot's Choice Awards (Foundation Grants)
- Foundation candidates can be nominated by any member of the aviation community. Nominations for the upcoming year are open from the fall AOPA Summit through January 31st.
- Applications to apply for the Pilot's Choice Grant Program are also available for the upcoming year starting at the fall AOPA Summit. A grant application can be found under the grant application tab of this website.
- After a grant application has been processed, grant candidates will be evaluated to assure harmony with the foundation mission and their track record and capacity to leverage the Pilot's Choice Program.
- The finalist list will be contacted and announced each spring at Sun 'n Fun.
- The finalist organizations are divided into two divisions. Division 1 consists of two-time veteran grant winners. Division 2 consists of organizations who have received one or fewer foundation grants. This two-division model creates more opportunities for smaller or emerging organizations to receive Grants.
- The selection of the top charities will be determined by the aviation community through online voting. Members of the aviation community are allowed one vote each.
- Foundation Grants will be announced and awarded in November each year.
Make Your Vote Count
If you’re an aviation enthusiast, then here’s your chance to select who should be the beneficiary of the Lightspeed Aviation Foundation. The top selected charities will each receive up to $10,000.
Click here to vote now >>